The Surgery Clerkship is one of eight required clerkships at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. (This clerkship is not open to visiting students.)
Welcome to the Surgery Clerkship. This clerkship is designed to expose students to experiences in both acute and elective surgical diseases. The experience will serve as a foundation for understanding the diagnosis, management and treatment of patients with surgical problems.
During the next six weeks, students will focus on medical knowledge, patient care, interpersonal and communication skills, professionalism, practice-based learning and system-based practice in the field of surgery. Medical students are expected to achieve a level appropriated for a third-year clerk. Students will also be exposed to the culture and environment of the operating room and technical aspects of surgical treatment.
We value the commitment of faculty members and College of Medicine staff to providing an exceptional education experience. We look forward to working with you in our mutual dedication to student success.
Rebecca Viscusi, MD, FACS
Surgery Clerkship Director
William Adamas-Rappaport, MD, FACS
Surgery Clerkship Associate Director
Medical Student Clerkship Coordinator
- Banner - University Medical Center Tucson
- Minimally Invasive/Robotic Surgery
- Surgical Oncology (Colorectal, Endocrine/Soft Tissue/Breast)
- Trauma – Emergency Surgery and Critical Care
- Banner - University Medical Center South
- General Surgery
- Southern Arizona Veterans Health Care System (SAVAHCS)
- General Surgery
- Private Practice – General Surgery (Tucson)
- Private Practice - General Surgery (Rural)
For more information about the Clerkship Program, including Goals and Objectives:
Information on the dress code policy for both Banner - University Medical Center and the University of Arizona can be found here: