The ACES Clinical Fellowship has been accredited through the Fellowship Council since 2012 as an Advanced GI MIS Fellowship.
About the Program
As part of a major academic medical center, the Arizona Center for Endoscopic Surgery (ACES) excels in training, research and clinical programs. Our dual purpose is to train those who will provide top quality patient care and academic leadership in minimally invasive and robotic surgery. Applicants must have an interest in developing advanced skills in minimally invasive, robotic and flexible endoscopy, as well as acquiring experience in management of morbid obesity and foregut diseases.
This fellowship program has three main objectives: 1) To develop proficiency in operative skills in the area of advanced laparoscopic and robotic surgery, 2) To obtain ability to teach laparoscopic operative skills to surgical residents and 3) To develop research skills in the area of upper GI surgery. Graduates of this program are expected to be able to carry out advanced laparoscopic operations independently, to develop and manage a center of minimally invasive and bariatric surgery, and to teach the fundamental and advanced laparoscopic skills. Fellows are also expected to graduate as a certified robotic surgeon.
The fellow’s training experience will be spent primarily in general, upper GI and bariatric surgery procedures such as paraesophageal hernia repair and fundoplication, revisional foregut surgery, Heller myotomy, primary bariatric (gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy) and revisional procedures, inguinal hernia, complex ventral hernia, solid organ surgery, and diagnostic and therapeutic flexible endoscopy. The fellow will also be taught basic and advanced robotic surgical skills in a stepwise fashion in order to master its application in general surgery cases such as incisional and inguinal hernia. In addition, the fellow will be exposed to the fundamentals of esophageal physiology, high resolution manometry 24 hour pH/impedance monitoring and Bravo pH.
The fellow will be involved in clinical and investigational research and will receive mentoring on study design and analysis, manuscript preparation, and research presentation. The fellow will be required to submit at least one abstract for publication in a peer-reviewed journal. The fellow will also be responsible for collection and analysis of data for use in research studies related to minimally invasive and bariatric surgery and will work in collaboration with the postdoctoral research fellow on research projects and publications. The fellow will also be involved with the education of residents and medical students at The University of Arizona.
Associate Program Director
Saad Ajmal, MBBS, MHPE, FRCSC, FACS, FASMBS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery
Debbie Sherrow, Manager
Online Application Process
ACES currently offers one Fellowship position, which is matched through the Fellowship Council Match System. For current Match Application Dates or to apply, please visit the Fellowship Council website.
Fellows must be eligible and receive an Arizona unrestricted medical license prior to the intended start date.
Pre-requisites for Employment
- Application for a Full Arizona Medical License (Attain a full medical license from the AZ Medical Board; Banner University Medical Center privileges are not granted if AZ Medical license is incomplete or pending).
- Attain Banner – University Medical Center privileges
- Application for DEA
- Employment starts August 1st and ends July 31st .
- 2020-2021 Helen Ho, MD - Northwest Hospital in Tucson, AZ
- 2019-2020 Thomas Scarritt, MD - Private Practice, North Carolina
- 2018-2019 Matthew Mobily, MD, MPH – Private Practice, Florida
- 2016-2017 Shawn Fu, MD – Dignity Health Medical Group, Stockton, CA
- 2015-2016 Matthew E. Apel, MD - Blossom Bariatrics, Las Vegas, NV
- 2014-2015 Hany M. Takla, MD - Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
- 2013-2014 Neena K. Singh, MD - Pottstown Memorial Medical Center, Pottstown, PA
- 2012-2013 Wanda M. Good, DO - Yakima Regional Medical and Cardiac Center, Yakima, WA
- 2011-2012 Amit Kaul, MD, MS - Head Bariatric Surgeon, NMC Hospital Group, Dubai